Thursday, November 26, 2009

Mountains and Valleys

Sometimes it feels like just the minute we’re basking on the top of the mountain, the wind comes along and blows us off into the valley. It’s easy to pray on top of the mountain. “Thank you God for your bounteous goodness to us.” But down in the valley, bruised and battered from the plunge down the slope, it’s easier to despair sometimes than to pray. But that’s exactly what we need to do because that prayer in the valley means you still have hope. And without hope we are hopeless. Sometimes it takes effort to praise God in that valley. Sometimes we are so weak we just have to say, “God I can’t do this in myself so you will just have to hold on tight to me right now.” I remember in one of my valleys saying, “God, I know I’m supposed to love this man but I’m not feeling it – please love him for me and teach me how to do it again. And He did. It wasn’t easy, it wasn’t fun, it wasn’t even something I much wanted to do at the time but no matter how little we have to offer, God can take up the slack.” In another deep valley, my daughter and I wept in each other arms when the little baby whose healing we had prayed so hard for died within minutes after her birth. Heartbroken, we just prayed, “God we don’t know why you didn’t heal her on this side of Heaven, but we thank You and praise You for the short time me had her.” God blessed us even through that experience because some hearts were softened and some broken bridges rebuilt as we went through the funeral and the time with family afterward. Today, as we were preparing for a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends, we got word that a family member had been involved in a terrible car accident and is in grave condition. Once again I felt that familiar plunge into the valley as I contemplated what it would be like for this young girl’s mother to see her only daughter lying helpless in the ICU, not knowing what would be the result. I find myself crying out to God again in the valley and asking for His hand in the situation. I don’t know what the future holds for this beautiful young girl any more than I know what the future holds for any of us. As the old song goes, “Many things about tomorrow, I don't seem to understand; but I know Who holds tomorrow, and I know Who holds my hand.” I’m praising God today and I’m just so glad that HE IS GOD and that all of us are held firmly in His hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment