Sunday, December 6, 2009

P's and Q

I have always liked the quotation, “Life is what happens while you are making other plans.” But the more I think about it, GOD is what happens when you are busy making other plans. You think you’ve got it all figured out and POW – right out of left field comes God’s plan. Or maybe you don’t have it figured out and don’t think you ever will and all of a sudden God drops it right into your life. All the significant changes in my life have come that way. I’m not even smart enough to know what to pray for and maybe that’s good because I know I would sell myself way short. Remember the country music lyric: “Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers” -- too, too true.

I don’t even try to conjure up a sweet deal anymore. I just wait and see what God has for me and it is always way sweeter than anything I could have dreamed up.

Back in the 1970s, staying with a friend in Washington, D.C. and hitting the streets every day looking for a job, I was getting pretty discouraged 6 weeks into it and one Saturday evening some folks from a nearby Baptist church that I had visited the week before dropped by the apartment and asked if they could pray for me. It seemed like a novel idea so I said, “Sure – pray I find a job.” While they were still praying the phone rang. It was someone with the Securities & Exchange Commission who wanted me to interview on Monday.

So big deal right? Well, I had never even heard of the SEC much less applied there. The lady said she had gone to the Civil Service Commission and picked up my file. This was just crazy because the SEC got so many applications they didn’t need to go to the Civil Service Commission to look for files. For another thing, government personnel workers didn’t work at home on Saturday nights calling people for job interviews.

Well I went to the SEC on Monday morning and had 5 interviews. Three of the supervisors that interviewed me offered me a job on the spot. I got to pick. I worked there for 4-1/2 years till I decided to move back to Kansas to have my second child.

That was the first set of extraordinary job circumstances that happened in my life. Each job I have had in my life has happened with extraordinary circumstances. Each and every one of them has a story just like that to go with it. God had a game plan and I just followed where He lead me.

That was just one instance of miraculous provision I could tell you about. There have been many instances of miraculous protection too. Situations that were so bad and could have been potentially fatal where God intervened and made it a near miss instead of a tragic accident.

God has put extraordinary people in my life – the right people at the right time to show me the path I was to follow. He’s always put at least one person in my life at every season of my life that tried my patience, my fortitude and most of all my BE-attitudes. He doesn’t make life easy but He sure makes it interesting. How would that great piece of woodcraft become perfected without the sandpaper being applied?

God has made me some promises in my life too. I’ve seen some of them fulfilled and some of them seem improbable and if God wasn’t in it – impossible. I’ve waited a very long time for one of them but God is faithful. Some of them have been fulfilled very quickly and some have been ongoing. When your best friend is God it’s an adventure to say the least.

So these days you will find me minding my Ps & Q. I’m either praying and thanking God for His provision, His protection, His promises and the people he has put in my life (those are the Ps), or I’m quilting (That’s the Q).

(Oh and sometimes I work too --just in case my boss is reading this ;-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment