Monday, February 8, 2010

Miracles

A good friend asked me today if I believe in miracles. I replied that I sure do – I’ve had some myself. At that point she asked me to tell her about them. I was a little taken aback because there are so many that I’d have to write a book to tell about all of them. My whole life has been filled with miracles. Looking back on my life I can see where God has held me in his hand every step of the way – through the really tough times and the really joyful times. He is my Rock and my Salvation.

I talked about the P’s in an earlier blog. But to refresh your memory: His provision, His protection, His promises and the people he has put in my life (those are the Ps).

His Hand of protection has been on my life and on the lives of my children so many times! When my son was still crawling an older child let him out of our screened back porch and when I cam to get him he was gone! I ran outside and saw a big van stopped in the middle of the intersection and a man holding my baby. He had crawled out into the middle of the intersection! When he was about 4 or 5, I let a lady from our church take him somewhere and she was supposed to leave him with his babysitter when she got back. We were living in a suburb of Washington, DC at the time. When I got home from work it was after dark and I went to pick him up from the babysitter and she informed me that he had never been dropped off. I called the lady from church and she said, “Oh, yes, I dropped him off.” It turned out she had dropped him at the wrong building, not bothering to take him to the door. He didn’t know where he was so he was hiding under a big bush next to the building where she dropped him off scared out of his mind. The summer after he graduated from high school he was working the night shift at a factory in Independence (20 miles from home). He went to sleep driving home and rolled his little car about 3 times. It totaled the car, but he was able to unfasten his seat belt and walk to the road for help. God has had his hand on my son all of his life. A few years ago, my daughter and I were driving in El Paso and a bike drove across the street in front of us and it was obvious that we were going to hit it and it was going to be toast. Then suddenly it was on past and there had been no collision. It was as if an unseen Hand had pushed it out of the way. Believe what you want but I was there and I know we would have hit him if God hadn’t intervened. Another time in El Paso we were lost in a bad part of town and all of a sudden we were going the opposite direction and were clear across El Paso from where we were a second before and there was our exit for our house right in front of us.

Then there is God’s provision. So many times, I have had a need and God has provided it in amazing ways and in the exact amount I needed. Once I needed my lawn mowed and could not do it myself and didn’t have the money to pay someone else to do it. I prayed about it and when I got home from church my lawn was mowed. (My grumpy neighbor had suddenly decided he would mow it for me – totally unprecedented.) Little things and big things – God cares about them all.

Promises – I’m holding those close in my heart. There are some I’ve been praying about for a long time and I KNOW that I KNOW that I KNOW that He promised them to me. I’m just standing firm and believing.

And the People: God gives me at least one person everywhere I go that tries my patience to the limit – He can’t make a beautiful work of art without sandpaper. And he gives me at least one that really touches my heart everywhere I go. I praise Him and thank Him for both. God is doing a work in my life and considering what He has to work with – mean, ornery, prideful piece of work that I am, He is to be commended for hanging in there with me. I’m sure I’ve provided the sandpaper in many other peoples’ lives over the years. (If you are one of them, I’m glad I could be of service. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Amen as to God's provision. And some of God's provision is to prepare us today for tomorrows situations. And some of the hard stuff is there to remind us that we are going the right way. I mean satan doesn't care about those people lounging around in his foyer. It is the people that are heading toward God that he is after.

    ReplyDelete