Sunday, July 15, 2012

Filling the Void

As I was reminded this morning in our church service, God is the only constant in my life. And since that is VERY true, then I am compelled to honor Him in the way that He expects.

Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:18-20 (The Message)

Since I have been so commissioned, I must pursue this task that is set before me. I have been wondering how to accomplish this since I have so little contact with other people other than at church. I work from home and because of my arthritis I do not get out much. But I feel like I heard the voice of the Lord very clearly today telling me to put my thoughts on my blog. At first I was reluctant to put something so personal out in cyberspace for anyone to see, but that is the whole point isn’t it? God wants everyone to see. Am I ashamed of the Gospel of Christ? Assuredly not. He is ALL to me and my relationship with Him more important than any other. What can the world do to me? They can condemn me. I will be in excellent company. They can kill me. Instant transport to my Beloved.

So I want to share my journey. I hope it helps someone. I grew up knowing God was there and trying to communicate with Him. I prayed a lot. I felt His presence and I heard directly from Him. But I was raised in a mainline denomination and I didn’t get any real instruction or any answers from anyone despite my many years of perfect attendance in Sunday School (I had the little pin with all the little bars under it to prove it.)

And I never take anything on face value. I have to know why and I have to analyze it and ask a whole bunch of questions. As I grew older, I still knew God was there, I just didn’t have the simple faith anymore that let me communicate with Him so easily. I started searching for answers to my questions. The search took me into some interesting places. Eventually I realized that the main place I needed to search for my answers was in The Owner’s Manual (the Bible). Many people write many things but if they don’t line up with God’s Word they are worthless. I eventually said, “God, please show me the truth. It is either all true or it is not true. There is no middle ground here. If it isn’t 100% true then it is worthless to me.” And He has revealed more and more to me the more I have searched. And I do believe it is 100% true. The Bible is literally true – every bit of it – inspired by God. It is an amazing work. It is every bit as amazing as His Creation. Great Scholars try to explain both away but they always fall short. The Bible is infallible.

Human beings were created by God. Only He can fill the needs and longings of our hearts. Until we embrace Him we are constantly searching and not happy with the answers or lack thereof. Every human has this longing in them and every human tries to fill that void in a number of ingenious ways, none of which works but inviting Jesus into our hearts.

I have the assurance of relationship with Him but I long to ease others’ burdens and give each one their own assurance of that relationship with their Heavenly Father. God longs for that relationship even more intensely than we do. His whole plan for mankind was to have relationship with Him.

If you are reading this and you are relating to that feeling of needing to fill a big void in your life, just do one simple thing. Ask God to reveal Himself to you. Ask Him to tell you if what I am telling you is the truth. And if He gives you that affirmation, then ask Him to come into your heart and have relationship with you. It’s not my job to convince you, it is His job and He is way better at it than I would ever be.

Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment