Monday, August 23, 2021

After She Falls by Carmen Schober


 


This is a wonderful, emotional, heartfelt story. Adri is a mixed martial artist whose career got sidetracked when she got pregnant. After a few years of marriage to an abusive ex fighter she escapes to her hometown where the love of her life is running a gym where they train future athletes. I loved every bit of this story and highly recommend it. 


I have one little problem with the story. All of the characters “smirked” at each other multiple times in each chapter. Other than the names of the characters I think this was the most repeated word in the text. 


According to wordhippo.com these are synonyms for smirk :

“grin, simper, beam, leer, sneer, smug smile, smug look, smile, broad smile and grimace. “


I also feel like the characters could have had 

a wider range of emotions and reactions than just constant smirking.


I have voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book that I received from NetGalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment