Wednesday, November 13, 2013

How to Talk to a Skeptic by Donald J. Johnson



This book arrived for me at a very opportune time. Our pastor is doing a series on witnessing. Mr. Johnson helps you avoid the pitfalls of arguing "the small stuff" first. He recommends that you first talk about the big picture: your Biblical world view. Stir up the big questions like Why are we here? How did all this get here? Is there a beginning? Is there an end? How can "nothing" exist? Is this all there is -- this repetitive day in and day out of our earthly lives? What is the point? Those are my interpretation of the questions not direct quotes from the author. Once you lay some groundwork and establish that all this couldn't have come about by chance, that there had to be a Creator, you can continue on to more specific issues. The author gets to some of those questions too and tells the reader how to approach the discussion of them, but spends a great deal of time cautioning the reader not to jump into those somewhat trivial issues first. Yes, there are hypocrites in the church, yes there is evil in the world, yes Christianity has some similarities to ancient pagan religions, yes the Church doesn't always get it right etc.

This is a very thoughtful and thought-provoking book and has aided me in my quest to become better at explaining my faith to others and doing what God intends for me to do -- fulfill the Great Commission. I recommend this book to all Christians who want to be a more effective witness.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House for review. I received no compensation for my review and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment