Monday, August 3, 2020

The Orphan Collector by Ellen Marie Wiseman






This book is set at the ending of WWI and the beginning of the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918.


Pia Lange is a German Immigrant girl whose father is deployed to Europe for WWI and she lives in Philadelphia where the flu breaks out big time after a parade. She is responsible for her twin baby brothers and she needs to find food for them. While she is looking for it she collapses with the flu. Her baby brothers are no longer there when she gets out of the hospital and goes to look. She is transported to an orphan asylum where she cannot leave. She is determined to find her baby brothers. It becomes a long quest with many clues but no solution until the end. I loved this story because of all of the elements (prejudice and pandemics) that remind us of this year (2020) and the historical part which gives more insight into the problems them were facing during this flu outbreak.


I read this story in one day because I couldn’t bear to put it down. My to do list is still to be done. I highly recommend this to all historical fiction lovers.


I have voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from NetGalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment