Monday, May 27, 2013

A Noble Groom by Jody Hedlund





This was a fun book that I could not put down. I read right through it. It is about German immigrants that came to the U.S. around 1880 to escape oppression in their homeland. My own ancestors came here around that same time and settled in Ohio. These immigrants settled in Michigan.


The story is about Carl Richards, really the son of the noble family that ruled in the area the immigrants came from in Germany. His father was whose oppression they had escaped. When Carl is falsely accused of attempted murder in Germany, he flees to Michigan at the behest of his manservant whose brother is living in Michigan. The brother is awaiting a relative being sent to marry his widowed daughter and take over her farm. Carl arrives ahead of the prospective groom and helps on the farm while hiding from the law.


The characters were interesting and likable and the book was well researched. I learned a lot about that day and time that was very interesting to me. Even though my ancestors settled in a city rather than on farms, I felt I learned a lot about what their lives may have been like. But more than that, this was just a good story that left me wanting more.


I received a copy of this book from Bethany House for review. I did not receive any compensation for completing the review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment