Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sweet Mercy by Ann Tatlock





This book takes place in 1931, with a prologue and epilogue in 1981. The time frame of the book is during Prohibition and the time when all the big names in crime such as Al Capone were on the scene. Eve moves from a high crime area in St. Paul, MN to Mercy, OH where her uncle has a hotel/resort in what she views as a small town / safe area. As it all transpires, she finds out that bootlegging and illegal activity is widespread and not exclusively in the big city. She meets some interesting people and finds out some interesting things about herself as she works in Mercy.


This book was fascinating to me because it is the time frame in which my mother grew up and she would have been close to the same age as Eve. She grew up in rural Oklahoma, but I'm sure a lot of the headlines and news stories were the same.


I love the characters in this book and the way the story flows. I would not have normally chosen a book on this era to read but I found it fascinating and noteworthy and would recommend it to anyone who just enjoys a good story with some surprising twists and turns.


I received a copy of this book from Bethany House for review. I did not receive any compensation for completing the review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment