Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Tiffany Girl by Deeanne Gist



This is the most fun book I've read this year. I always love Deanne Gist's books but this one is extraordinary!


Flossie is a "New Woman" in the 1890s. She wants to strike out on her own as a single woman and artist. She accepts a job for Mr. Tiffany (of Tiffany stained glass fame) when he hires women to replace the men from his factory that are on strike. Against her parents' wishes, she moves out and takes up residence in a boarding house. Being an only child, she is hungry for family and embraces the other residents of the boarding house as her new family. One of the residents is a writer, Reeve Wilder, a man who also wants a family in the worst way but handles the acquiring of one from a whole different perspective. This novel take place in New York City and also in Chicago at the World's Fair. The author has done extensive research and I almost feel like I have visited that World's Fair and also have learned much about the culture of the time. There are so many fascinating aspects of our ancestors' lives that I have learned through Ms. Gist's work and I can't wait to find out what she will teach me next.


I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. However, if I had not I would have bought it at the first opportunity anyway because I would not have wanted to miss this one! These characters are engaging, likable and "fun to watch." Once I dove into this book I didn't want to come up for air. I am now adrift at the end of the story and wishing I was still experiencing it. I think this will be one of those rare books that I will actually visit again. There are so many books to read out there that I hardly ever read one again but I may have to make an exception for this one. Of course, I'm sure Ms. Gist is working on her next masterpiece so perhaps I will just wait and see. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment