Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Messenger by Siri Mitchell


This is without a doubt my favorite Siri Mitchell book! The only thing I can say against it is that I don't like to read books that are in first person, but I even forgot about that after the first or second page.


This story’s setting is during the Revolutionary War in Philadelphia. Ms. Mitchell’s research into this time and place is stellar as always.
Hannah Sunderland is a Quaker who wants to help her brother who is in jail because he took up arms with the Patriots. The city is under British occupation. Jeremiah Jones, a local tavern owner, has become a spy for the Patriots even though at one time, as a colonist, he was a part of the British army. He realizes that Hannah may be able to get notes into the jail for him and he helps her obtain a pass to visit her brother. The two of them help carry out an elaborate scheme to help the prisoners escape.


This book kept me enthralled to the very end and then I couldn’t get up until I had read all the author’s notes in the back. I would probably not have picked up a novel about the American Revolution at the bookstore but Bethany House gave me a copy of this book to review and I am so glad that they did! This is one of the best books I have read this year. Without a doubt, Siri Mitchell has become an amazing writer and I am anxiously awaiting her next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment