Friday, June 15, 2012

IXL Learning

Photobucket


777 Mariners Island Blvd., Suite 600
San Mateo, CA 94404 (USA)
Phone (650) 372-4040

See it here
Family Membership: $9.95 /mo. or $79/year

This is an online site where for a membership fee, your children can log in and do math problems at their level. This is for all age levels, pre-school through High School. If you are on the family plan, each student has their own “button” to push to get to their worksite. This allows the company to keep track of each student’s progress. I have a 1st Grader and a High Schooler who is doing Algebra this year. Each one of them was able to log in independently and work at their level of expertise. The company then sent me e-mails telling me what their progress way, how much time they spent on it and what their success rate was. There are even printable awards and certificates for milestones.


IXL Algebra

Both of my students enjoyed using the site and my High Schooler actually spent a lot more time on the site than I had expected her to. She was struggling with her current chapter in her Algebra text and waiting for some outside help and so I let her spend as much time as she wanted on this website while we were waiting. She had so much fun working through this that I think she really didn’t want to go back to her regular curriculum. I will allow her to continue to supplement her regular curriculum with this. I am not entirely comfortable with this being her exclusive math course but only because this type of course is new to me and I want to get more familiar with it before making any drastic changes. Her pleasure with it is a strong motivator for me to give it some more thought.

I would recommend this subscription service to homeschoolers especially if they are struggling with a certain area of Math. It is always good to try another approach when we hit a “rut.” It has always been my philosophy with each child that you need to find out what works best for them. I always try a variety of different approaches until something clicks and then I stick with it.

And now: Confession time – I, myself, had fun tooling around in this program and testing my own skills. Try it – you’ll like it.

To read what others on the TOS Crew had to say, please click here: TOS CREW

Disclaimer: As part of the TOS Homeschool Review Crew, I was given an IXL membership free of charge to review. However, I did not receive any compensation. All opinions are my own.







No comments:

Post a Comment