Monday, February 11, 2013

Julie Klassen’s The Tutor’s Daughter




This book was a yummy read from start to finish. Emma Smallwood is the daughter of a scholar who has been running a school for boys in his home for many years. Since the loss of Mr. Smallwood's wife, he has been depressed and no longer interested in his school. An opportunity comes for he and his daughter to go to Cornwall and tutor two boys whose older brothers were former students in the school. When Emma and Mr. Smallwood arrive in Cornwall, all is not as they had expected. There is a mystery afoot and even the brothers they already knew seemed to be different than their rememberance of them. What ensues is a wonderful mystery (you won't figure it out right away)and budding romantic feelings. It is like reading Jane Austin with spiritual undertones. Both Henry Weston, the eldest son, and Emma examine their faith in the process.

To see a trailer about the book, click HERE

This book kept me glued to it till I finished. The tale was marvelously wrought and I was fascinated with the location, the plot, the depth of the characters and the never boring story of redemption. I can't wait to see more by this author!

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House to review. I did not receive any compensation for completing this review. All opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment