Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sweet Sanctuary by Kim Vogel Sawyer




Kim Vogel Sawyer is one of my all time favorite authors and I don't think you can improve on perfection but with each book that comes out I realize that she has done just that because each one is even better than the one before. When I looked at the blurb for this one I thought, WWII -- I don't want to read any more WWII stories -- but after all, this was Kim Vogel Sawyer so I decided to soldier on. I am so glad I made that decision. This book is the best one yet. It is about a doctor and nurse who were formerly stationed in Hawaii together and now she (Lydia Eldredge) is in Boston taking care of a child given to her by a dying friend and he (Dr. Micah Hatcher) is in New York being a doctor to immigrants and also doing some top secret work to help save Jewish children in Europe. His brother, a minister, is in Europe and is smuggling the children of Polish Jews into the United States to be adopted by Jewish families in the U.S. Dr. Hatcher receives the children as they come in and takes them to a rabbi who places them. They reconnect and Micah tries to help Lydia, whose little boy is being claimed by his birthfather. The birthfather is addicted to morphine and wants to sell the boy to pay for his habit. The story gets even more interesting from there but I won't spoil it for you. In this book, two people actually accept Jesus as their savior during the course of the story and I thought that was a gutsy inclusion and thought Ms. Sawyer's relating of those two conversions was very well done. I love the current Christian fiction. Authors like Ms. Sawyer are not afraid to take on the real issues of Christianity and tell it like it is without being preachy or stilted. I am hoping this book comes out in Audio version soon so my very busy daughter who loves WWII stories will be able to enjoy this one.

1 comment:

  1. I just requested this one to review. I hope I get it. It sounds great.

    Tiffany
    http://thecraftyhome.net

    ReplyDelete