Monday, March 25, 2013

FIrefly Island by Lisa Wingate




This book was a real page turner. I had a hard time getting into it at first because I just kept thinking, "this is going to end badly." I couldn't imagine how a professional woman working on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC could be happy quitting her job, getting married and moving with her ready-made family to a ranch in the back of beyond in Texas. I couldn't imagine a "happily ever after" coming from that scenario. But amazingly enough, it did. And with a lot of mystery and intrigue in the middle. There were a lot of mishaps along the way as she dealt with goats, cows, vermin and hometown folk in the small Texas town. Throw in a surprise pregnancy, a lot of loving, long-distance interfering relatives and some unusual new friends. This book had a lot of quirks and surprises but it chronicled the journey from self-sufficiency to being part of a community and a real genuine love relationship. By the time I got half way through the book I couldn't put it down anymore and could not wait to read to the last page to find out what happened. After I read the last page I sat and enjoyed knowing but with a little sadness at that being the end and no more to experience. I've read several of Lisa Wingate's books and all I can say is they keep getting better and better!

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House to review. I did not receive any compensation for completing this review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment