Monday, October 7, 2013

Heart of the Country by Rene Gutteridge and John Ward


PREVIEW MOVIE TRAILER

Faith is running from a difficult situation. Her husband has been indicted for securities fraud in New York. She ran once before -- from grief when her mother died in North Carolina. Now she is returning to her childhood home in NC to heal and like the prodigal in the Bible, she is welcomed with open arms by her father and with a little bit of distrust by her older sister. This book tells the story of their long journey back -- hers and her husband's as they discover that family is what it is all about and as they put their faith back in God where it belongs.

I received a copy of this book and the movie from Tyndale House to review. I did not receive any compensation and all opinions are my own. I read the book first. Then I watched the movie. As with all movies that are made from books, some details were changed which is always annoying for me, but I realize that they must do this to make it work in this different format. My granddaughter, who watched the movie with me and has not yet read the book, enjoyed the movie and so did I.

The best part of the book for me was the description of both parents' transition from this world into Heaven. That was beautiful and real. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they did not include those pieces in the movie. I thought the references to God in the book were a little too sketchy and a little too glossed over, but the doctrine is sound. I liked the book -- read it from cover to cover without taking much time out for anything else, but it was a little different, and there were a few less "warm fuzzies" than similar books I have read.

The fact that Gerald McRaney played the father in the movie made the movie for me. That was some wonderful casting.

I enjoyed both the book and the movie and would recommend either one or both to my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment