Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Artisan's Wife by Judith Miller



This book is third in the Refined by Love series by Judith Miller. The first book is the older brother Ewan of the Irish family that came to America with big dreams. He marries into a brickmaking family. The second book is about his sister Rose whose dream is a pottery factory. This final book is about Ainsley who is running a tile factory in another town and Levi, the artisan who comes to work for her and designs some very beautiful tiles.

The book is a history rich story about labor in the late 1800s and about insane asylums during that time. Ainsley gets involved with making a library for the inmates, many of whom are there just because a family member (often husband) and had them committed.

I love the way Ms. Miller brought all the three books together and tied up loose ends without taking away from the integrity of the current story. I love the simple faith of the characters. It’s an unembellished, matter-of-fact trust in God and I am so glad that Bethany House’s authors have learned to make this just part of the character’s lives and not added preachy stuff that doesn’t ring true as in some earlier Christian fiction that I have read.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for a fair and honest review. I would have come by my own copy one way or another anyway because I enjoyed the previous book so much this one just had to find its way into my bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment