Wednesday, November 20, 2019

The Rebel Bride by Shannon McNear



This is an interesting historical novel set during the Civil War. Pearl is a Tennessean and keeps house for her widowed father an younger brother. Her cousin, who is a confederate officer, brings wounded Union soldiers from a nearby battle to recover under Pearl's care because he is unable to get them to the prison in the condition they are in. One of the Union soldiers is Josh, who has lost a hand in the recent battle. Pearl's father, while suffering from some dementia, has taught his family and continues to preach about being kinds to and taking care of enemies, so Pearl works at it diligently. Over time, Pearl and Josh form a relationship and the war becomes a side issue to both of them. Neither change their views but their regard for each other continues to grow.


I like the depth of the research the author has done and her handling of the whole situation. I have soldiers from both sides of the conflict in my family tree and all were solid Christian husbands and fathers but also loyal to their homeland. I enjoyed this little view into their life and times.



I have voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this books which I received from NetGalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment