Monday, August 30, 2021

Behind Love's Wall (Doors to the Past) by Carrie Fancett Pagels


 


This was a fun story centered at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. (Lake Huron) .  Willa is a modern day interior designer whose roots are in this area.  Lily is a singer who is hired by the Hotel  back in its heyday and she too had roots in this area.  What they have in common is a desire to figure out who their living relatives are.  Willa is also intrigued with Lily's story as  she finds historical references and documents that start to tell the story.   The story goes back and forth between the two time periods as they work out their genealogies.  


I have been a genealogist for many years and frankly the relationships that were mentioned in the book were somewhat confusing to me.  I would never have figured it all out from the narrative if I hadn't diagrammed it out.  I'd prefer not to work that hard to get the details when I am reading for entertainment.  In addition, it seemed like pieces were missing. It suddenly jumped from one day to another with no transition.  I was wondering how they changed their mind about things so quickly when in the last section they had a totally different point of view about what was happening and I wasn't privy to how they made that decision. That said, I still enjoyed this book and would pick it again if I had a do-0ver . 


I have voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book that I received from NetGalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment